1. AI Skilling: Indian IT giants such as TCS, Wipro, and Tech Mahindra are investing heavily in training their employees in AI. They have partnered with tech giants like Microsoft and Google to upskill their workforce in generative AI and other AI platforms. Tech Mahindra has already trained 8,000 employees in AI, TCS plans to train 25,000 employees on Microsoft’s AI suite, and Wipro aims to equip 20,000 employees with AI skills through its partnership with Google Cloud.
2. Ethical Concerns with AI-Generated Music Covers: AI-generated music covers are becoming popular, but they have also sparked controversy. Musicians like Nick Cave and Sting have expressed disapproval of AI writing songs, while fans are using the technology to create fantasy crossovers. An AI James Hetfield cover of the Black Sabbath song “War Pigs” has caught attention, but some question the ethical implications of reproducing voices of musicians.
3. Huawei’s AI-Powered OS Revives Smartphone Business: Despite ongoing US sanctions and chip supply challenges, Huawei aims to revive its smartphone business with the latest AI-powered HarmonyOS 4 upgrade. The CEO of Huawei’s consumer business group expressed optimism after Huawei resurfaced as a top-five smartphone vendor in China. HarmonyOS 4 integrates AI model Pangu, offering services like automated messaging and image creation.
4. SEC Chairman Concerned About AI: The Chairman of the SEC, Gary Gensler, has expressed concerns about the risks of AI to the financial system. He warns that with the rise of generative AI tools like ChatGPT, a few AI companies could build foundational models for various businesses, leading to interconnectedness and a higher likelihood of financial crashes. Gensler believes this technology could be at the center of future financial crises due to its powerful economic implications.
5. Unintended Racial Bias in AI Tools: Rona Wang, an MIT graduate, experimented with AI to enhance her LinkedIn profile picture but was surprised by the results. The AI-generated photo depicted her with fair skin, blonde hair, and blue eyes, highlighting the issue of racial bias in AI tools.